5 Weight Loss Mindset Traps To Avoid

The road to losing weight is rarely smooth.

The reason for this is that most people who set out on this road fall into various mindset traps which derail their entire journey.

The good news is that these traps can be easily avoided and have little or no impact on your overall success.

I will discuss 5 of the most common motivation mindset traps and explain how you can sidestep them.

 

1 – ‘Just One Won’t Do Any Harm’

For many people, dieting is the hardest part of their weight loss journey.

Going from eating fried chicken or sweet and sour ribs regularly to eating steamed vegetables and grilled chicken breast on a consistent basis is a big change and one that can be difficult to adjust to.

This results in using the excuse ‘just one won’t do any harm’.

While it’s true that the occasional treat won’t have a significant impact on your overall weight loss success, if it becomes a daily habit, it will sabotage your goals and lead to overeating.

To avoid this trap, allow yourself to eat the foods you crave in moderation.

A good balance is to stick to healthy eating 80% of the time and scheduling the other 20% into your weekly routine.

Then if the thought ‘just one won’t do any harm’ comes to you at any other time during the week, tell yourself ‘Yes, it will.’ and stick to your healthy eating plan.

 

2 – ‘This Isn’t Working’

When undertaking a weight loss program, many people tend to have near-sighted vision.

This results in them ignoring the end goal and instead looking at what they have achieved so far.

While it can be good to assess your progress, it’s very easy to fall into a negative mindset trap when doing this and then start to feel depressed about your lack of measurable achievement.

This then leads to you questioning the effectiveness of your diet and exercise routine and thinking:

‘This isn’t working’

To combat this negative mindset trap, tell yourself that healthy weight loss takes time and dedication.

Also, remind yourself that every positive step you have taken so far is moving you toward your goals, even if you don’t see any tangible results from it yet.

 

3 – ‘This Isn’t Fun’

One of the most popular misconceptions is that losing weight and getting fit is boring.

If you buy into this misconception, you’ll find that your attitude towards losing weight drops considerably and you’ll feel very little motivation to continue on your weight loss journey.

The good news is that this misconception can easily be fixed by understanding that you CAN make your weight loss journey fun.

There are plenty of enjoyable exercises you can try out as well as lots of tasty and nutritious recipes that you and your family can experiment with.

The process of searching and experimenting with new things will make it more fun and exciting.

 

4 – ‘I Don’t Have Any Willpower’

Willpower is simply the belief that you CAN achieve something.

When someone says that they lack the willpower to complete their weight loss challenge, they are actually saying that they’re too lazy or unwilling to find a way out of this mindset trap.

Fortunately, this belief is one that can be easily altered.

Simply look for where you’ve successfully exercised your willpower in any area of your life.  This could be in relation to your career or some other personal goal.

Once you find an example, simply use it to counter the thought ‘I don’t have any willpower’ every time it pops into your head.

 

5 – ‘I Don’t Have Time To Focus On Healthy Choices Today’

Time is precious and time CAN be made.

If I asked you to make time today to meet up with a celebrity or a future spouse, wouldn’t you clear out your entire schedule?

How much more important is your health and wellbeing?

Most exercise routines and nutritious food preparations take very little time.

If you want to achieve a healthier lifestyle, you can carve time out of your busy schedule to make it happen, but only if losing weight is really important to you.

 

In Conclusion

Staying motivated on your weight loss journey can be very difficult without the right approach.

As you can see from the 5 tips above, determination is key when avoiding the pitfalls and weight loss mindset traps that usually lure individuals seeking out a healthier lifestyle.

If you follow the tips and tricks outlined in this article, I promise that you will achieve all your weight loss goals.

 

Rob FinalRob Santarossa was a “severely obese” accountant who after failing at fat loss for almost 30 years created Power-Cardio 30, an amazingly effective (and fun) 30 minute workout system, and lost over 70 pounds without dieting.   He became a best-selling author and was named one of America’s Premier Experts.   Rob founded IronCore Kettlebell Club and has dedicated himself to helping people change their body while living their best life.